Change

Review : Patti "The Belle" of New York State Fair Show 9/3/15

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dennis, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Dennis Dennis Shook

Patti LaBelle was the belle of the New York State Fair Grandstand stage Thursday.

Ms. Patti, as she likes to call herself, and her 10-member band graced the stage for nearly 100 minutes to perform some her greatest hits that span her 52 years in the music industry.

Her performance was like a harmonious path to the theater, the opera, the juke joint and church.

Her energy was akin to a lively aunt who still danced not because she thinks she still has it, but because she knows she does.

The 71-year-old opened with the lesser known "Need a Little Faith" from her 1989 "Be Yourself" album. That didn't stop the crowd from being in awe of seeing the godmother of soul belt out notes that only a dramatic soprano can muscle.

It was the perfect to say, "I'm in the building."

Her voice announced her presence before she was seen, dressed in an all black fringed ensemble with sparkling black sleeves.

She brought old glamour, drama and pure entertainment to the excited mid-sized crowd that packed most of the floor seats and first levels of elevated rows.

She followed her arrival song with more known hits like "New Attitude," and "If Only You Knew". The latter offered comedy as she picked up a silver mirror, looked at herself and readjusted her sharp, jet-black bangs.

"Take your pictures now because the face might leave the place," she said, sweating three songs in before belting out hits that have since been covered by younger artists like Celine Dion and Kelly Rowland.

"But don't get it twisted," she said. "Ms. Patti did it first."

But, she followed with some covers of her own.

She jammed out with the crowd when she sang her rendition of Michael McDonald's "I Keep Forgettin'," bouncing around, kicking one leg and then the other and catching melodies with her diamond-laced right hand.

But it took "If You Don't Know Me By Now," originally made famous by Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes, for her shoes to go flying.

"You better go, Patti," some members of the audience shouted, excited to see her trademark action in person.

Patti wasn't ready to leave though.

She had to wipe off her feet and change into a pair of black pumps that sat with other pairs of shoes as decoration for the white piano on stage.

LaBelle took us to the alter with "Total Praise," an opportunity she used to showcase her goosebump-inducing vocals of her background singers.

The church at the Grandstand said "amen."

"Lady Marmalade" followed two songs later with eager crowd participation. LaBelle selected three men from the audience to get on stage and sing with her. She was so taken aback with one of the men until she let him stay to sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" with her.

LaBelle faded into the black of her stage after singing R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly."

She re-emerged moments later in an all-gold fringed outfit to sing "You Are My Friend" from her self-titles debut album. Pictures of fallen greats like Nelson Mandela, Marvin Gaye and Robin Williams appeared on the screens.

LaBelle said it was a blessing for her to see the people who came to see her. She said she doesn't take people coming to see her for granted.

With performances like tonight's, we shouldn't take her for granted.

http://www.syracuse.com/statefair/i...ot_the_right_attitude_to_command_a_stage.html