Review of Patti's ASU Dream Marches on Concert March 7 2015 w/ photos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dennis, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Dennis Dennis Shook

Hundreds gathered on the Alabama State University campus Saturday night to hear Grammy award-winning singer Patti LaBelle perform during the "Dream Marches on" concert in Montgomery.
    "It's the 50th anniversary of the great march, and I am so happy to be performing tonight for us," said LaBelle after taking the stage. "We still got to keep trying though to make things better. It's got to get better."
    LaBelle, who will be a contestant on the upcoming season of "Dancing with the Stars," opened the commemorative concert quickly got the party started with her hit song "New Attitude." From there, the 70-year-old songstress kept audience members on their feet and singing along by singing a string of her hits, including "If You Asked Me To,"If You Only Knew" and "When You Talk About Love."
    "I love her," said Montgomery resident Jane Jones of LaBelle. "She's been around a long time. I just wanted to come out and show my support for her and for the 50th anniversary."
    Luke Wade, who finished in the top 8 during season seven of NBC's "The Voice" while competing on Pharrell Williams team, opened for LaBelle during the event at the Dunn-Oliver Acadome. Earlier this week, Wade said being able to take part in such 11022565_10153429187375166_1861451249341262319_n.jpg
    a historical event was a dream come true.
    ""It's the kind of thing you dream about being a part of," said Wade. "You're a part of something that isn't just music and isn't just a show -- it's history. Those are the moments, as an artist, that you live for."
    Prior to the concert, Alabama State University president Gwendolyn Boyd and Montgomery Mayor Todd Strange presented the Freedom Award in honor of Rep. John Lewis, the only living 'Big Six' leader of the Civil Rights Movement.
    While Lewis was unable to attend the event, Mayor Strange said Lewis, who was severely beaten for leading marchers over Selma's Edmund Pettus Bridge on March 7, 1965, is an American icon, and it was an honor to recognize the important role he played in history.
    "John Lewis is the epitome of courage," said Mayor Strange. "He's just an icon, and it's so important that we continue to honor him and tell his story."
    Since being elected into the United State Congress almost 30 years ago, Lewis
    has served as a Democratic leader in the United States House of Representatives. Earlier today, Lewis introduced President Barack Obama in Selma before his speech on the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday.
    LaBelle will begin competing on "Dancing with the Stars" on March 16. She will also appear on "Empire" on March 18 on FOX.