Patti talks about her relationship with God in "CALLED" Magazine Must Read

Discussion in 'News' started by Dennis, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Dennis Dennis Shook

In January 2014 The Ultimate Patti LaBelle was featured in a Christian Womens' magazine CALLED Magazine this is a wonderful article about Patti and her relationship with God. I found it just moments ago :

When people think of Patti LaBelle, “Christian woman” probably isn’t the first thing that comes to mind. They’re more likely to think “living legend,” “music sensation,” “Lady Marmalade,” or something along those lines. I must admit, when I flew into Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to interview the Grammy Award-winning singer, I was a bit curious to know where the conversation would lead. And to my surprise, here I am – weeks later – still pondering some of the decisions I’ve made, because of the wisdom that Patti LaBelle shared.

Patti’s career has been both iconic and multifarious. With over 50 million records sold, and legendary hits (such as "On My Own," "If You Asked Me To," "Stir It Up," and "New Attitude"), she’s been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Apollo Hall of Fame, and the Songwriters' Hall of Fame. However, Patti LaBelle’s impact transcends music. She’s an actress, author, and bona fide business woman – whose branded merchandise extends to “Lady Marmalade” hot sauces, Macy’s bedding, a collection of fragrances, and cookbooks. And although her humanitarian efforts aren’t channeled through a gospel choir or traditional ministry, you won’t convince me that her “mission field” isn’t wherever she goes.

Marsha DuCille: What would you say if someone asked you, “Who is God?”
    Patti LaBelle: Thinking about my life, all the pain that I’ve experienced, and everything that God has brought me through, I would say that God is a Healer. He is my Savior. My life hasn’t been easy. People look at me and see “Patti LaBelle – the celebrity.” But I’m “Patti LaBelle – the child of God.” I’ve been through a lot of ups and downs, and God has been my Healer and Savior through every one of those experiences. That’s who He is to me. God has gotten me through many years of pain.

But God, in His way, always reminds me to replace my negative thinking with something positive. So, I decided that, if I want to live, I have to start doing a better job at taking care of my diabetes. If I want to live, I have to do better, change my negative thinking, and change my negative habits. There are certain things that I can’t control, but I leave those things in God’s hands. Diabetes is something that I can control, so I’m now keeping my mind on doing that.

MD: You mentioned feeling guilty when your three sisters died. Why did you feel that way?
    PL: I felt the most guilt when my sister, Jackie, died.

MD: Why?
    PL: I knew that my sister, Barbara, was dying. I knew that my sister, Vivian, was dying. But I didn’t expect Jackie to die when she did. And, when Jackie was in the hospital, my Aunt Hattie Mae called me. She said that Jackie wanted me to make her an egg and bacon sandwich. I said to Hattie Mae, “I just got home from the tour, and I’m tired.” The next day, I got up, and while I was making the sandwich to take to the hospital, my Aunt Hattie Mae called again. She said, “Sugar, don’t rush. Your sister just died.” That was the worst moment of my life. Acting like the spoiled brat that I was at the time, I decided to wait until the next day to bring my sister the sandwich. Yes, I was tired, but my sister was in the hospital. Being selfish, I assumed that I could make it tomorrow, but tomorrow never came for Jackie.

MD: How did that situation change your life?
    PL: It taught me that we should never put off loving people. If it can be done today, don’t put it off for tomorrow. I denied my sister a sandwich, because I was being selfish. That was my biggest mistake. We don’t know how long people will be here. We don’t even know how long we’ll be here. Now, I don’t wait to show people how much I love them. And I don’t wait to help them. If I can do it now, I do it now.

MD: After your sister, Jackie, died, didn’t you adopt her children?
    PL: I did. I have five children. I gave birth to one child; my son Zuri. I adopted Jackie’s two children when she died [Stayce and Billy], and I adopted my neighbor’s two boys [Stanley and Dodd] when she passed.

MD: That’s incredible.
    PL: Marsha, I wasn’t incredible. God changed my heart. After Jackie died, I began to see the light – literally. Some days, I hurt so bad that I would close the curtains in my house. I wouldn’t let any light come in. In hotels, I would tape the drapes shut. I just wanted to be in the dark. But God pulled me into the light. He strengthened me, and allowed me to open up my heart. If I’ve done anything good, it’s because God did it through me. I’m now a better person, because of Him.

MD: What advice would you give someone who is dealing with unbearable pain?
    PL: I would tell them not to blame God. Sometimes bad things happen, because bad things happen in this world. Sometimes, it’s just life. For example, I was molested as a child, and a friend of mine attempted to rape me as an adult. Did God cause any of those things to happen? No, He did not. But He used all of those things to make me stronger, wiser, and the person that I am today. And, sometimes, we do stupid stuff that leads to pain. God never told me, or led me, to make stupid mistakes. Those mistakes were made by me. I made those decisions. I allowed wrong things and negative people into my life. At times, I’ve been my worst enemy. So, we can’t blame God for the bad things that we allow into our lives. God allows us to make choices, and our choices make us. God never abandons us, but we sometimes abandon ourselves. If someone is dealing with pain, I would tell them that they can choose to get out of it. I didn’t ask to be raped, and I didn’t ask to be molested. And God doesn’t cause those kinds of things to happen. But God allows us to choose how to respond. Sometimes, rain falls in our lives. Sometimes it’s a thunderstorm or tornado. But, whatever it is, we have to know that we can choose to get through it. God gives us that choice.

MD: Do you believe that you’re called?
    PL: Yes. I believe that I’m called. To my son, Zuri, I’m called to be his mother – which is my most important calling. To the young girls in the [music] industry, I’m called to be a mentor. A lot of these young celebrities gravitate toward me. They come to me for advice, and some of them call me their mom and godmother. For me, being a Christian isn’t about telling everyone that I’m a Christian. It’s about showing people that I’m a Christian. I used to judge people. Back in the day, I was a bad girl. But God changed me. I want people to know that I’m a Christian by the way I love them when they need me. We don’t know what people are going through. We don’t know why these young girls are half naked, or why other people do what they do. They’re probably hurting, and need someone who will love and help them – instead of look down on them.

MD: Secular music has a large platform. Is that why you chose it over the gospel music route?
    PL: I love gospel music, and I sing it every night when I do a show. But secular music is definitely a larger platform, and it allows me to reach a lot more people. At my shows, I sing secular and gospel music, because I can. If you can do both, why not be great at both? I only sing things that I believe. I’m not out here singing things I don’t believe. If you have the talent, why not be great everywhere and anywhere that you can go? If you can be great singing gospel, sing gospel! If you can touch people through secular music, sing secular music! If you can do both, do both! God hasn’t put me in a box. I’m a child of God wherever I sing, and wherever I go