Change

PATTI INTERVIEW ON ALBUM, DAYTIME DIVAS AND PATTI LABELLE'S PLACE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dennis, May 26, 2017.

1. Dennis Dennis Shook

Throughout her storied career, Patti LaBelle has always had something hot cooking. This year is no different for the 73-year old entertainer who has a new book, album and two television shows on her plate.

In her just released fifth book, “Desserts LaBelle: Soulful Sweets to Sing About,” she pays homage to her family members by sharing stories and recipes passed down through generations.

Here you will find the clan’s inventive takes on popovers, chicken and waffles, corn pudding and yes, the sweet potato pie!

Before she did the book, LaBelle knew people would wonder how she could take on such a venture while being a diabetic and she is ready with an explanation.

“Everything you see in the book you can improvise,” she told Tasty Clips. “I didn’t want people to think I was being a hypocrite by writing this 75 dessert book. When I make it for myself, it’s with sugar substitutes, less butter and anything that’s dangerous for a diabetic.”

We enjoyed a hearty laugh over her secret to the perfect brunch — The three Bs. “Bacon, biscuits and bloody Marys,” she said. “And then a lot of gossip. Instead of drinking the tea, we pour the tea.”

Her new album, “Bel Hommage,” finds the Grammy Award winner tackling a new genre at the persistence of her ex-husband — jazz.

“As a kid growing up, my brother use to play Moody’s Mood and Dakota Staton and Nina Simone, so I was aware of all the wonderful jazz singers back in the day,” LaBelle said. “I’d never done it before and wasn’t sure if I could do it well enough so that I wouldn’t be embarrassed. But finally I said yes and started doing [songs including “Peel Me a Grape” and Shirley Horn’s classic “Here’s To Life.”]

On the television side, look for more episodes this fall of “Patti LaBelle’s Place” for the Cooking Channel and a role in Star Jones’ VH1 adaptation of her novel “Daytime Divas.”

“I play the mother of this gentleman in a relationship with Vanessa Williams, who owns the show,” she said. “And of course, I’m all busy into their business.”

With the recent spate of biopics in the works, surely her story on screen would make for great viewing.

“Well I have two ladies who have said they would like to do my life,” offered the legend, “and that’s Sam Jackson’s wife, LaTanya Richardson Jackson and the girl from “Power,” Naturi Naughton. I have no clue who would end up doing me, but I love them both.”

When asked if there was anyone left in the industry she hasn’t had a duet with, her answer could only leave us wanting. “I’d love to sing with Aretha Franklin,” LaBelle said. “I sang for her at the Essence Festival, but we’ve never done anything together.”

Somebody please make that happen!