Former Patti Background Singer Joins Her Show 2/8/16 (PHOTOS)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dennis, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Dennis Dennis Shook

Award-winning singer Patti LaBelle performed at Ruby Diamond Auditorium in Tallahassee Monday night. Longtime local singer Anthony Williams was right behind her.

Tallahassee resident Anthony Williams got to share the stage with Labelle during the Opening Nights concert at FSU.

Williams said, "She told me in advance, she was like, look just go ahead and do your thing. You do you and I'll do me. It was great. The crowd got into it."

This was nothing new for Williams. During a performance at the Tallahassee Urban League's annual banquet in 1996, LaBelle called volunteers out of the crowd to come on stage.

"She gave the microphone to two or three guys. She didn't even see me standing behind her. I'm 6'2 and she's only like 5'2", 5'3". So, when she turned around, she looked up, she said, you better be able to sing. She gave me the mic and like the saying goes, the rest is history," Williams said.

Williams went on to tour with Patti LaBelle as a background singer for about nine years.

Monday night, he moved from the background to sing her number one hit, "On My Own", a duet LaBelle recorded with Michael McDonald.

Williams is a paraprofessional at Springwood Elementary School. Many of the people who work with him didn't know about his not-so hidden talent.

One co-worker said, "I want to go to the next concert with Mr. Williams."

His co-worker will have to travel to see that performance again.
    Williams will join Patti LaBelle for other concert tour dates in Florida. 12417981_1012243658815131_3635265361335504630_n.jpg